Financial Advice Reports
Retail Shop Leases Act
Leasing retail shops is a significant financial decision. In addition to the initial capital investment for either the landlord or the tenant, there are costs in operating a business of any kind. It makes good financial sense for landlords and tenants to get advice from qualified professionals about the terms and conditions of a retail shop lease.
Is your business entering into a retail lease?
Get the right financial advice from our experienced team before you sign the lease.Get Financial Advice Today
Points to consider
Commercial tenants should seek advice about the retail business they intend to operate to ensure that the intended business is viable. Leasing is a substantial commitment resulting in thousands of dollars in rent and other expenses.
There are several things Bottom Line Control accountants recommend taking into consideration when leasing a premises:
- Once a lease is signed, the tenant is responsible for meeting all the costs of the lease until the lease expires.
- Tenants also need to undertake market research and preliminary business planning. Assistance with business planning and research can be obtained online at smartsmallbusiness.qld.gov.au.
- Tenants are required by the Act to seek both legal and financial advice before they sign a retail shop lease.
- Tenants who lease less than five retail businesses in Australia must obtain a legal advice report and a financial advice report, and provide these completed reports to the landlord before entering into a retail shop lease or an assignment of a lease.
- The tenant must meet with a lawyer for advice about the legal meaning and effect of certain terms and conditions of the proposed lease.
- The tenant must meet with a qualified accountant for advice about the financial rights and obligations of the tenant under the lease.
The team at Bottom Line Control accountants can help with a Financial Advice Report for your business, schedule an appointment by contacting us on 5471 7077 or complete our appointment request form today.